Monday 26 October 2009

Strachan confirmed as new boss


A Keith Lamb-shaped man looks pleased with himself

Former Celtic manager Gordon Strachan was today confirmed as Boro's new manager on a three and a half year contract. Strachan's first game is on Saturday against struggling Plymouth Argyle at the Riverside.

"It's a special job. I don't have to be here, I don't need to be here, I want to be here," said Strachan. "My job is to make the players better technically, physically and mentally, as a group and as individuals."

"I know you get time here, and the stability of the club means you have the chance to develop things the way you would like to see them develop. Celtic was fantastic, and I hope it can be as enjoyable here."

Strachan has been joined by his long-time assistant Garry Pendrey but insisted he was happy to work with the existing staff. "I think you must try and keep the continuity at the club. I brought Garry Pendrey here, but he has been everywhere with me so it's a bit of a double act and I wouldn't feel comfortable without him being here."

Strachan said he hadn't thought as far ahead as the January transfer window but confirmed he had spoken with Gordon McQueen about "one or two priorites" - a new striker is likely to be one of those.

No comments: